Monday, November 07, 2005

Ouch!

So I decided that I'm going to allow my mid-wife to perform an external version on me, meaning that she will manually try to flip the baby into the head-down position. They do an ultrasound to confirm the position of the baby and using her hands on the outside of my tummy she will coax the baby's bottom or feet out of my pelvis and try to make the baby do a somersault forcing him into the head down position. Problem #1 it's not very successful, problem #2 it hurts! She assures me however that she'll have a good indication fairly quickly whether or not he's going to move and she certainly won't force the issue if I'm too uncomfortable or if the baby isn't budging. There's also a chance that if she's successful in turning him that he might turn back--but these are all chances I have to take I suppose! There are multiple potential complications (they even have a surgery team ready) but none of which she has ever seen. She assures me that the mid-wife way is so gentle that those complications rarely arise. If it is unsuccessful we will go ahead with a c-section as planned. They do another ultrasound just before they perform the c-section to confirm that he's still breech. If he has decided to turn by then they obviously will let me continue on with my pregnancy as normal.

This is all so crazy. The day of birth is drawing nearer and nearer regardless of how he is to be born. It's an exciting yet very scary time of life! There's so much to do before he comes and the time to do it all in is getting shorter and shorter. It's SO STRANGE to think that I could be holding my baby in my arms in just 3 short weeks! Of course, it could be 5 or even 7 if he's stubborn... so it's kind of relative at this point! I'll keep you updated.

No comments: