Monday, November 21, 2005

My Last Day of Work

As I nearly chucked my phone across the room as it rang just after 4 this morning (that's when the lady I babysit for calls me to tell me she's on her way over with the kids), I couldn't help but stop and smile... today is the last day that I'll be woken up at four in the morning by a telephone for at least a month or two. Nevermind the fact that it will soon be replaced by the wails of a hungry baby who I can't get to just by turning over and grabbing it off of my night stand! But for the week and a half between now and then, it feels very good! I'll miss the kids terribly, but I look forward to not having to get up so early to get them, nor to get up again at 6:45 to begin getting them off to school. As much as I don't look forward to losing sleep at night, I do look forward to the freedom to crawl back in bed when he's finished eating, and sleeping as long as he'll let me!

Today is virtually my last day for any commitments... but a day full of commitments at that! Byron and Tony are up and off to school while Leeann and Krista are enjoying their last few minutes of rest before I wake them up. I'll soon get Leeann some breakfast and get into the shower. I'll quickly get myself and Leeann ready and then drive Krista to school. I will then go to my friend, Eroica's house where I will spend the morning babysitting her 8 month old little girl. She and Leeann will play together as I watch episodes of TLC's "The Baby Story, Adoption Story and Birthday" (Eroica Tivo's them for me, we don't have T.V.!) This will give Eroica some time to work on editing some pictures. She runs a photography studio out of a really neat shop in the back of her home. Check out her website on my links--Precious Portraits. You'll even find some cute pictures of Leeann in her portfolio!

Ah, then this afternoon I'll pick Byron up and take him to Eroica's, then an hour and a half later I'll pick up Tony and take him to Eroica's where we'll try to acclimate them into her home. She's going to take over my job while I'm on maternity leave so we're going to try to get the kids used to the rules, the house, the environment etc. Then we'll get Krista and head off to spend some quality time together since it's their last day with me for a while.

Then their mom will pick them up and I will shovel something down my throat, drop Leeann off with the babysitter and head to the church where I have a meeting. Our church is embarking on a building project and I'm one of the chairpersons for the communications committee. It's a big job! Tonight will be an important night as we attempt to answer some big questions and set a big vision before the church. I need to wrap up any loose ends on my part as I prepare to fully hand this over to my team members in preparation for baby's arrival also.

THEN, when I come home I have a mountain of laundry that needs done between now and Thanksgiving. That's one of two big things left on my list of things to do before the baby comes (other than Christmas shopping). Not only would it be nice to have most of the laundry done for when we get home from the hospital, but it would also be nice to have some clean socks... I think I may very well be down to my last pair today!

One might wonder why you read about my boring day ahead. I can see why you might read the first paragraph, to see if anything exciting is going on. But if you are still reading by the time you get to this paragraph I'm afraid you just might have too much time on your hands! With that being said, I have some princesses who need woken from their slumber. Have a great day, and keep those baby name's coming!

No comments: