Friday, November 04, 2005

Another Baby Check-Up

I went in for my 34 week appointment yesterday and everything still seems to be going very well with my baby. As far as my mid-wife can tell everything is right on track--except for the position of his head. He should be in the head-down position by now but he's been comfortably sitting in a frank breech position every since I've been able to feel him. He wiggles a little, but really doesn't move from that position at all. She gave me little hope that he'll move at this stage (he's getting bigger and his ability to move is getting rapidly smaller). Only about 5% are still breech at this stage and 1% of babies will flip between now and delivery. Will it happen? It could. Am I counting on it? No. The obvious course of action at that point is a cesarean-section, I have no intention of birthing a breech baby. I never imagined having a c-section but the thought is growing on me. It takes away a lot of the unknowns and I appreciate that. This might sound kind of wierd, but I'm far less scared of surgery than I am of birth. I've had surgery before, but I've never given birth... there's some strange comfort in the familiar. Anyway, I'll keep you updated as to what's happening. If nothing changes it looks like our baby will be born at the end of November.

Baby Joel is doing well, Rob and I actually got to see the little tiny boy in the NICU yesterday. He's sooo handsome! Mom is doing well too. She was all smiles and quite happy (although slightly drugged still). She was assuring me that a c-section really wasn't all that bad and in an odd way, it really calmed my fears a bit. Please continue to pray for baby Joel and Stephanie and Toby. Again, I'll keep you updated as things happen or change. Thanks for reading!

No comments: