Sunday, January 22, 2006

Did I mention we bought a mini-van?

God is soooo good!

I've always wanted a mini-van. Even before we had kids I wanted one. For the last several years I have seen the need for one in so many areas of our lives. In ministry for sure, and now for our kids, for the kids I babysit, for letting my friend Eroica and I go somewhere together with our 3 kids in carseats, for having enough space to pack up the kids and their stuff when we go visit family, for hauling students around, for going on youth trips etc.

The problem? Mini-vans are generally expensive and we have a strong desire to pay cash for our vehicles if we can (realizing there could certainly be times where cars break and we don't have that ability). It's just been a goal of ours. Anyway, we have been slowly saving over the last year and have scraped up enough for about 1/3 of what we were imagining a van in decent condition would cost. At this same rate it would be feasible to think that we would be able to buy one after two more years. With the addition of Titus and the recognition that it's not the safest to have one of the kids I babysit for in the middle of the front seat with a drivers side air-bag, we have increased the fervency and the frequency of our prayers for a mini-van. Lo and behold Rob was sitting at work a week or two ago and a mini-van drives up with a for sale sign in it. Out of curiosity Rob asks how much it cost. Approximately $100 less than what we had already saved!

So, Rob and I are now the proud owners of a 1995 Ford Windstar with just over 100,000 miles. The best part is that it has had two owners. One of which we know well (and said he could sell it to a pastor in good conscience), and the other of which he knew. Some of the best features include automatic lights, a 'miles to empty gauge' and keyless entry (with two clickers so Rob and I can each have one! No more trading keys).

With that being said we have more big news (and no, it's not more kids), but I'll blog about that later. I'm wiped out, it's been a long couple of weeks. Tomorrow's another long day too, but such is life. Thanks for letting me share my exciting mini-van story with you!

3 comments:

Mama T said...

Hi Robyn, I really enjoy your blog and wanted to let you know that if it's ok, I have added your blog link to my blog.
If it's not ok, I will remove it.
Enjoy your new van!!

Suzy said...

Yipee! You will love that 'miles to empty' gauge. It is my best friend in my explorer.

Suzy

Jennifer said...

Yay! That will come in handy!