Monday, April 28, 2008

Pain, Pain Go Away...

*This post is full of groaning and moaning. I don't blame you if you skip this one!*

I had an appointment with a Rheumatologist Thursday. It was a good appointment and Dr. Ladd was really nice. He took nearly 45 minutes with me and didn’t leave me feeling like the pain is all in my head. He didn’t have any answers for me yet however.

I got some blood drawn. He’s checking specifically for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lyme disease. He’s also checking my antibody counts to check on other possibilities such as Lupus, Sjorgen’s etc.

I conveyed to him my fear of having Lyme disease but having it diagnosed as something else. The reason I fear that is because the longer Lyme disease goes on, the more damage it causes and I really don’t want to continue to deteriorate at this rate. He told me that he would not be opposed to treating me with a month-long dose of Tetracycline to see how I respond. The side effects are minimal, but the possible benefits make it worth it in my mind. Unless the tests are really conclusive in one area or another I intend to take him up on the antibiotic treatment.

So I have a follow up appointment in 3 weeks and I’ll keep you updated.

The pain has been all but unbearable on many days. Then again, I also have days where it's not so bad. It stinks because I don't feel well, but I'm not bad enough off that I can sit in bed all day and feel sorry for myself!

Friday morning I woke up with a numb arm and tingling in my hand and arm and a little in my foot also. It felt like pins and needles were poking me. I was especially irritated by any touching because of this. It really isn't fun. It lasted through Saturday and Sunday, though it's mostly subsided as of today.

I went to the Chiropractor today and I also got a massage. It hurt so bad, but felt so good if you know what I mean! I wish I could go to the Chiropractor every week, but a $25 co-pay leaves me trying to stretch it out to every 3-6 weeks depending on my pain level.

I'm 26, it's pathetic that I'm even posting about this! Argg, I feel like I'm 86. Now I know why old people are so cranky though! It takes a toll on you to be in constant pain. Even if the pain itself isn't excruciating... the consistent aches and pains are enough to drive anyone batty!

Well, I should be off now, I think I've ranted long enough about my pathetic pain!

Check out Aspen's Blog for some good news and also check out the blog of another girl in our church named Allison who has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, www.alekonab.blogspot.com. I can't imagine going through this kind of pain at Allison's age. Please continue to pray for these girls... they are so precious!

4 comments:

Rebecca.Alburn said...

I'm so sorry you're going through all this pain, Robyn.

beachbirdie said...

I'm very glad you have a doctor who is taking your pain seriously. Too often they send you on your way and tell you it's all in your head...or you're just stressed because you're a young mom and you're too busy...

Continuing to pray for you. I know it's no fun at all to be in your shoes right now.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you are dealing with so much pain, especially in the midst of moving. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted as to what the tests reveal.

Heather

beachbirdie said...

Robyn,

I know this is grasping at straws but...are you drinking a lot of water and water-based beverages (mochas, etc.), plus eating a lot of foods that soak up lots of water in cooking (macaroni, rice, beans, "just-add-water" mixes)?

Try an experiment and give up anything using tap water (get cheap purified water at "Purified Water to Go" on 9th Street, near Ping's).

See what happens in 3 or 4 weeks.

Check out all these science articles: Fluoride and Arthritis-Like Pain.