Sunday, April 13, 2008

Did I mention how much I dislike Dell?

After I cooled off last night I decided to call technical support since they are open 24 hours, to see if they could help me or at least add up the number of hours I've spent on the phone with them so I can document that.

Well, the first thing they ask for is your service tag number, which I entered (I now know the thing by memory!)... and it sent me straight to a recording telling me that my warranty has expired and I'll have to call the out-of-warranty department during regular business hours in order to get technical support. Minimum price, $39. ARGGGGG!!! I HATE DELL! I swear when the last customer service rep transferred me over to the already closed department she knew it would get rid of me for good because now I can no longer talk to a human without paying money.

As I remember it, these are just a few of the problems I've had in the past year: Vista is not compatible with ANYTHING, causing a failure to print for several months, inability to use a particular photo software that cost me many frustrating hours during VBS, and presumably some of the other issues mentioned below.

I've also had loud noises coming out of my speaker, making it impossible to work because the thing was screeching at me.

My computer has been unable to turn on past the point of obnoxious lines across the screen.

My C.D./DVD player randomly decides not to play certain disks.

My computer won't come out of a hibernation state causing me to turn off the computer, turn it back on and recover anything I was working on.

It wouldn't connect to the Internet in multiple locations, though Rob's was working just fine.

My screen randomly turns black on occasion, or has glitches in it.

My computer will act like it's out of battery even though the battery is full, and it won't turn on until it's plugged in... but then it shows that my battery is indeed full.

I'm trying to find my emails from Dell to see what else there has been, but my Yahoo filter search is not currently working... bummer.

I've personally torn the face off of my computer (the casing and keyboard) as instructed by a technician to do something with the power source. I have removed my battery and numerous occasions and unscrewed my C.D. drive, plugging it back in to fix the sound issues. I've let a technician take-over my computer numerous times, to allow them to try to fix my problems, and I've spent HOURS AND HOURS on the phone with them. I've spent even more hours re-formatting things because my laptop wasn't printing and I had to switch it over to other computers (which don't have Vista... requiring me to fix all the random things it messes up).

Anyway, none of these things are so severe that they haven't been able to be worked through, or done without... but it seems to me that a fully functioning computer wouldn't have so many problems. They're irritating! I feel like I've been unnecessarily patient... but now I'm obviously about to lose it!

The worst part is, we saved for this computer for a long time and it's been so useful. However, I don't know when we're going to be able to save that kind of money again or when we'll be able to move that to the top of our purchasing priority list. I was so excited to get this computer just one year ago... I'm sad it's causing me such a headache now, and I hate the fact that I know it'll putz out on me shortly.

Anyone want to take bets for how long it will take?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're having trouble. How about a meeting at Starbucks with the girls? And have I told you lately......:)

Robyn said...

Did you mention Starbucks *drool*, with girls? Name the time and I'm SOOO there! The question is, have I told YOU lately?....

Melinda said...

Hmm...you know, there are a lot of people having issues with Vista in general, but it really does sound like you've got a lemon of a computer. I'm sorry you're having issues with it and customer service. I hope you're able to get it fixed rather than having to buy a new one.