Monday, October 01, 2007

Special People

There are four families that have had a lasting impact on me, three that I have never met. One family I met only briefly, on our adoption day. I read about them almost daily. I pray for them, I cry with them and I rejoice with them. I hold my kids just a little bit tighter every time I read about their pain and suffering. Sometimes I squeal with delight when I read good news. I'd like to introduce you to these four families who have been devastated by cancer in their young children.

Rebekah is a bright-eyed five year-old little girl who has been fighting cancer since April of 2005. Her daddy was our adoption lawyer and I started to work with him that same month Rebekah was diagnosed if I remember right. I was going through the stress and chaos of trying to officially make our daughter part of our family and they were going through the stress and chaos of keeping their daughter alive. I've been reading Rebekah's blog nearly from the start of her ordeal. She's fighting cancer and winning, though each day provides for trials as the family learns daily that fighting cancer leaves lasting wounds, physically, mentally, relationally and emotionally. Rebekah is a tough cookie and a beautiful little girl. She got to make a special trip down here on Leeann's adoption day, I'm so glad I got a small glimpse of her personality by meeting her in person. www.rebekahspage.blogspot.com.

Second is Rachel. I learned about her from Rebekah's blog. Her family lives in the mid-west if I remember correctly. She lost the battle with cancer at the beginning of the summer. She was only seven years old, with the faith of giant! Her family is still grieving daily as they learn to do life without their precious daughter. It's heart wrenching to read about their loss. I've cried on a number of occasions reading her blog. I started reading it a month or two before her death. I thought for sure she was going to win her battle. I wanted so badly for that to be the case! You can read about her here: http://www.caringbridge.org/mn/rachelhansen/index.htm

Third, baby Lexie. She lost her battle just 11 days ago. She was only 10 months old and battled cancer from birth if I remember right. They knew that they would likely lose her from very early in her life as she only had less than a 10% chance of survival. They made the most of her short time here on earth, and they didn't take a single day for granted! http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewHome.do I've been reading her blog for a couple of months now after seeing a news article about her.

Finally, there's Boey. I learned about Boey when I found out that Extreme Makeover Home Edition was coming to Corvallis (the town right next to ours). She's a spunky go-getter full of faith and life. She was diagnosed in January of 2006 and I believe she's battle cancer for the 2nd time. She's an amazing young girl and her story is worth following as she fights this battle with cancer. The latest post on her blog almost brought me to me tears... good tears! Extreme Makeover airs her show this Sunday at 8:00, so make sure you tune in! http://www.jenessabyers.com/. The call her a warrior, and a warrior she is indeed!

These are four girls with very different stories at different stages in their fights with cancer. Their families are all full of faith, hope and love and their daughters have all been an inspiration to me in so many ways. Click on some of the links above and get to know their stories... you'll be so glad you did, and I promise you will hold your kids a little bit closer tonight!

1 comment:

Rebekah Christine said...

Thank you Robyn for your continued thoughts, prayers and referrals. Your heart for these kiddos facing challenges is amazing.

Yes, we did start working together about the time Rebekah was being diagnosed - some of our paperwork is even dated the exact day Rebekah was diagnosed. It is an honor to be able to have helped with building your family and I delight it your blog and getting to watch them grow up on a day to day basis.

-Scott (Rebekah's Daddy)
family@helprebekah.com
http://rebekahspage.blogspot.com