Monday, October 15, 2007

No, not the DISHWASHER!

I almost had a heart attack today. I had just filled the dishwasher full of dishes, poured the soap in and shut the door. But, when I went to latch it, the latch wouldn't move into lock position. The lock was broken. I fidgeted with it for a few minutes then I got out a butter knife to see if I could persuade it to move like it's supposed to. It was no use. I gave up and walked away contemplating my future without a working dishwasher.

A few minutes later I walked back to the dishwasher to see if there were any bolts I could unscrew, or anything I could take apart to try to fix the problem. What I discovered was a little hole right next to the latch that has a little metal piece that is in some way attached to the lock. I slipped the butter knife into the hole to see what it would do and it made my latch move! Yippie!

So, if you time it just right you can slip the knife in, move the latch part way (but not all the way or the door won't close) and push it closed before the metal part moves back... you can successful close and latch the dishwasher!

Never mind the fact that the top rack falls down on occasion and that you have to completely rinse all of the dishes before you put them in. Minor details! I'd rather have a half-functioning dishwasher than no dishwasher at all.

It's one of those appliances that are not a necessity. If the fridge breaks you have to beg, borrow or steal to get a new one. You simply cannot do without it. A dishwasher on the other hand... not the case. I suppose it would make a nice enclosed drying rack though, that way I wouldn't have to clutter my counter with a drying rack. Hmmm, that's a silver-lining if and when my dishwasher shall decide to completely revolt against me!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the sounds of my running dishwasher. I'll take what I can get!

No comments: