Monday, April 23, 2007

1366

That's how many calories a person my height weight and age would have to eat each day in order to lose 1 pound a week. Yikes!

Have you ever paid attention to calories? They're in everything (duh!)... and lot's of them!

That's any given McDonalds value meal with a refill of soda. That's not even two totinos pizza's (sorry Suzy!).

A turkey sandwhich with a little bit of ranch dressing and a handful of chips will cost you around 400 calories. A 1/2 cup serving of ice cream is going to run you 150 or so. So, my average bowl of ice cream is more like 400, plus the calories from the milk and the chocolate sauce I like to put on top!

A medium soda? 210. A handful of chips? 150. A cereal bar? 150. A bowl of cereal with fat free milk? 200. Yogurt, strawberries and granola? 400! A 16 oz double chocolate chip blended creme from Starbucks? 380--without whip cream.

Regardless, it all adds up to 1366 far faster than I'd like to think! This really isn't easy. You have to be quite diligent to stick with that.

I haven't had any soda or coffee in more than two weeks now, and I've had very little chocolate (besides in my ice cream). Those all add up the calories quite quickly. Or, subtract the calories quite quickly if you're willing to do without. Suzy and Rob are beginning to call me the calorie police. It's kind of fun though. It's almost like a game to figure out how to get the most bang for your buck. Or, the most filling and goodness for your 1366 calories!

Once I hit my ideal weight I can up my calories to 1866, which seems a bit more doable. I look forward to that day with great anticipation. Though, if I truly am cutting down to 1366 calories it will still take me 10 weeks. It's a little hard to tell though because it's hard to figure out how many calories some things have. The scale and my jeans tell no lies though, so we'll see!

3 comments:

Shelly said...

DIET soda has zero calories........

Anonymous said...

Counting calories is a hard way to diet but it's important to understand the amount of calories that are in different foods. I remember when I carried a piece of paper around in my pocket and wrote down the calories in everything I ate - it was shocking how quickly the number went up! Eventually I quit doing that, but I still have a mental calculator that goes off in my head (processed junk, sweets,non-diet sodas, crackers and cereal make it sky rocket). It's important to understand calorie intake as it relates to putting on weight or taking it off, but it's more important to eat healthy. Stacey and I read a book from the Christian book store called The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. It gave us some good help on making the right choices. Cereal, soda, cookies, and junk food are empty calories with no value and our bodies need the right stuff. When you reach your goal, put away the calorie counting, choose the right foods and enjoy a "treat" once in a while and your body will thank your body will thank you in 30 years! (my battle is the exercise -oh I hate that one!)

Anonymous said...

Why do you think I run?! I run so I can eat more calories ... two to three miles allows me to eat something yummy! Wanna go for a walk?