Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I admit... this is not my favorite stage!

I love my son. I adore my son. I don't care for this stage in his development however. He opens every drawer and every cupboard he can get his hands on. If the dishwasher is open he's immediately drawn to the silverware bucket. His food ends up all over the floor at any and every meal. He likes to put things in body's of water, including the toilet and the bathtub. I caught the remotes just as they headed into Leeann's bath the other day. He's getting opinionated, but he's not yet convinced that he needs to mind. He's past the point of being comforted by his binky and blanky... they are now a necessary part of his being. Watch out if you forget either of them! I love him. He's a handsome and sweet little boy... he just takes up all of my energy these days!

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Oh Robyn...do I ever feel your pain. Halle is into EVERYTHING!!! Just wait until your little monkey starts to climb. Halle just started and now she's up on everything! She loves to jump on the couches and our bed, loves to take the recycling and put them in "special" places, aka, in her closet, under the table, or in the toilet. But I have to say, that I am kind of liking it...while it does consume more of my time and energy, I love that she's exporling her world. But hang on, because it's going to get a lot busier! Love you, I'm so excited for her about Vortex...and what a blessing to have it all paid for! God is truly ALMIGHTY!!!

Anonymous said...

It helps a little to childproof the cupboards and leave only one or two open for him to get into, hopefully with big items like pots that aren't as likely to get lost as a can of tomatoes. If you have the space, he'd probably love a cupboard of 'Titus' space' where you could put a few interesting things of his and maybe even leave some space for him to crawl into. We had a microwave caddy, a little cupboard on wheels, that we used in our old apartment but don't need here. Todd loves to crawl in and out and try to shut himself in and then push out.

For meals, until he gets past the tossing stage, try only giving him a little on his tray at a time. A pile of Cheerios, no matter how hungry Todd is, is sure to make him try to scatter them to the ends of the earth. I think he likes the sound as they hit the floor. Thankfully, Todd is now at the stage where he only starts playing with his food when he's not hungry anymore. We're trying to break his habit of tossing his bowl and any leftovers on the ground when he's done with them. However, I have a feeling our days of wiping the floor up after every feeding will continue a while yet. It makes me wish we could have a dog to lick the floor up after him!