Tuesday, January 16, 2007

An Exciting Opportunity!

I'll try to make a long story short... but we all know how good I am at that!

In October I went to a Children's Ministry Conference in Eugene, where Craig Jutila (the Saddleback Community Church's Children's Pastor) was the speaker.

He and his staff have been such a huge inspiration to me. They do a fantastic job in Children's Ministry, and they make so much of what they do available to others, that their material has provided most of my training for my job. I've read several books and articles, and listened to multiple CD's that they have put out, spent hours on their website and heard him speak in person twice. Everytime I interact with their training and material I am more and more inspired to do my job well... and to reach kids for Christ and grow them spiritually.

Anyway, after the first night of the conference I felt convinced that God was asking me to encourage him and tell Craig how much his ministry has meant to me and my ministry. So when I got home that night I started to write him a letter that I would find a way to give to him after the conference. After about the first paragraph I got really sleepy and decided that maybe I'd just get up early and finish it in the morning. Then the power went out and that confirmed my decision. I ended up waking up far later than I'd hoped (only 2 minutes before my friend came to pick me up!) So much for that! I still felt like I really needed to encourage him however, so I mustered up the guts to tell him how he's impacted my ministry just after the conference. I specifically commented that his encouragement to create a mission statement that will guide your ministry, was the first piece of advice that I took, and the first thing that I did once I started my job. It was a priceless piece of advice, and I'm so thankful that he encouraged it so strongly.

Anyway, he asked me to send him my mission statement and told me about a thing called Vortex. Basically, as many as 20 paid Children's Ministry Leaders from around the country get the chance to spend 3 days with Craig and his 5 senior staff memebers. It's not a conference, but more like a glorified job shadow if you will. They choose these 20 people based on their mission statement.

So, I left that conversation just knowing (or hopefully wishing) that somehow... I'd get to be one of the 20. So when I got home I emailed off my mission statement.

I think a month went by before I heard anything. I'd all but forgotten about the opportunity, but still hoped that somehow I'd get to go. I think it was mid-November that I got an email inviting me to come! My excitement was soon put on hold however, as I read in the information that this was for paid full-time Children's Ministry Leaders. I'm paid, but only part-time. Bummer! I emailed them back, asking if I could still go. The people who had the authority to make that decision were out of town for what seemed like forever. I finally got an email telling me that at this point the had like 200-300 people inquiring about this opportunity so they have to draw the line somewhere. I was told I couldn't go.

I was bummed to say the least, I was SOOO looking forward to this opportunity... and I really thought, from the moment I heard about it, that I would get to go. I totally understood their reasoning, and even agreed with it... but seriously... it's me here! I'd really benefit from this, and I want this opportunity more than anything!

I think the worst (or best?) part about it is that everytime I turned onto the street into my neighborhood I pass a car lot that has 5 R.V's lined up with their backsides facing the street. They all have one word on the back "Vortex". At first I felt like I was being taunted, but then I decided to use it as an opportunity to remind me to pray that somehow, I might get to go. Rob would tease me whenever we'd pass them because I'd comment about it. He was more-or-less gently trying to tell me to let go of hoping (and rightfully so, what were the chances?).

Anyway, I knew the money for Vortex was due by the end of December. So a couple days after the New Year I sent an email to the lady I'd been interacting with, a really sweet lady named Tanis. I wrote a letter introducing myself and explaining that while I'm paid part-time, their investment into me would not be wasted. I described my ministry and specifically why I thought this opportunity would be perfect for me at this stage. I apologized for resembling the persistent widow (though in the Bible, she did end up getting what she wanted!), and I commented that I'd be remiss if I didn't ask one last time, hoping that just maybe there would be one spot still open waiting for "just the right person".

I got an email from Tanis the next day telling me that she'd ask one more time. That afternoon I got a phone call from her (though I missed the call!) telling me that I could come! I seriously screeched out loud like a five year-old who was just told they get to go to Disneyland :0) Leeann didn't know why I was excited, but she immediately became nearly as excited as me. I told Leeann "I get to go to Vortex!" She looked at me with a great big smile and said, "I get to go to Vortex too mama!" It was too sweet!

So, there you have it. In just 3 short weeks, Rob and I will drive to Southern California while I get the exciting opportunity of doing life with the Children's Pastor and his senior staff members for 3 days. Needless to say, I'm so excited!

I had saved $100 from my graduation (in May of 2004... I know, it's weird), I had some Christmas money, and I had some money left-over from when I was supposed to go to Mexico in 2004 on a mission trip. The trip ended up getting cancelled, and I never felt good about using that money for anything not mission/ministry related since that's what I worked for the money for. So, it was the perfect amount to pay for the conference. We're trying to 'raise' money for the trip down however, hence my first Craigslisting! No takers yet though. Anyone want to buy a guitar? :0)

So there's the story that was a long story that I was trying to make short but ended up making long anyway. I thought I'd give you something long to read since it's been a while! This might have to hold you over for a while because my ability to blog is getting more and more limited these days. It's probably better that way! Until the next time...

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm VERY excited for you!!!

Jessi said...

That's great, I'm so happy to see it finally coming to pass, and it's a true testament of your diligence and commitment to the children in your church. God is going to do mighty things through you and your ministry! Blessings, The Wandler's

Jennifer said...

Yay! I am very happy for you!