Tuesday, April 18, 2006

No Longer Safe... and Big Boy Crying

Titus is getting bigger, and with getting bigger means getting stronger. He is no longer safe anywhere and I have the feeling I'm going to have a tough couple of months ahead of me! Even when I'm holding him he kicks off of me and wiggles and squirms and makes me nervous. He got his feet up underneath him the other day and slowly catapulted himself over the top of his swing (it's a little travel one that sits very close to the floor). That same day he wiggled himself out the bottom of his carseat when Rob had set him down in there for a mere minute or two. When I'm feeding him he's no longer content to stay still and even this morning he had wiggled out the top of his swaddle and squirmed to the top of the crib.

Houston: We have a problem.

Titus just won't sleep unless he's swaddled. Period. He's too strong to effectively swaddle anymore though. Any suggestions? Do you know anyone who makes baby straight-jackets?!?!?

When he breaks free from his swaddle he cries and cries and cries. These are no longer cute little baby whimpers, these are kid throwing a fit in the candy isle kind of cries. I heard so many of these cries yesterday I thought I was going insane! He was inconsolable most of the day. I wonder if he's getting sick because I'm not feeling well myself. Hmmm. Or he's teething. Or he's just getting his own little attitude. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep because he's breaking free from his swaddle? All I know is that I hope today is better because if today is anything like yesterday I won't get anything done and I'll fall asleep exhausted on my pillow!

BUT... I love my kids and I'm glad to be their mommy. It's the greatest most rewarding job in the whole wide world and I think my kids are the greatest. They have the sweetest little personalities and the cutest smiles. Hugs, kisses and smiles make all the fussing worth it!

4 comments:

Beckys blog said...

Have you tried the kiddopotamus swaddle blankets? We just started using one on Raquelle. They swaddle and velcro shut. She can brake out of her blankets, and even out of swaddle blankets...but she can't get out of the one that velcros shut.

Robyn said...

Where do you find such a thing?

Krista said...

Is that the one I gave you, Becky? If so, Robyn - $9.99 at Target. :) http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/601-0261392-8909753?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0006Q55Z8
I got it for Lily, but both my girls decided to hate swaddling, so I never had to deal with it. I don't know how big it goes or how much longer it would fit him. Lily's 16 months and still sleeps in Halo sleepsacks. It's not tight like a swaddle, but they can't kick it off like a blanket. Maybe Titus wouldn't notice the difference in something like that? I thought Lily would hate it once she started moving around, but she can even walk around the house in it - she doesn't realize it's not normal to just wear one of those things. lol

Beckys blog said...

Yes, it's the one Krista gave me. Since Titus is short, it could fit him for a while.