Friday, February 12, 2010

More Baby Stuff

My life has been consumed with Baby since Tuesday. I'm constantly amazed that we're responsible to care for and love on this little guy until he can get home to his new family. His case is a bit complicated, as he has a family including his biological siblings that can't wait to love on him, but they're out of state and can't have him until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. And, that's a complicated processes in this case especially.

So, in the meantime we're loving, kissing, hugging and caring for him until his family can have the honors. It's so crazy that for some strange reason God decided to include us in the process of caring for him for a short while. I'm purposefully trying really hard to strengthen a bond between he and I. It's so important for babies to develop bonds early in life, even if it isn't with their permanent family. It provides the foundation they need to create bonds later in life which is vitally important for their development.

I've read a bit about bonding, attachment and adoption in preparation for what we had once hoped would be our older adopted child. Now that I know what I know about the process it's crazy to actually feel it happening. The first night we had him I dutifully cared for him because he needed care, though I didn't have particularly warm fuzzy feelings, due to the fact I had just met him. After some really long feeding/bonding sessions I've gone from dutifully caring for him to absolutely loving on him in just a few short days. Now I just want to snuggle those cute little chubby cheeks. I'm really enjoying having him around, he's such a sweet little boy!

No comments: