Monday, August 06, 2007

"Little Houses"

Seven months ago today Suzy, Weston and Logan came to live with us. I spent the two days prior to their arrival cleaning out closets, moving clothes, vaccuming floors, clearing out cabinets and drawers trying to make room in our 1442 square foot house for three more people.

Our house has an upstairs, with two fairly large rooms and a bathroom, so those became Suzy and the boy's rooms--though the boys room doubled as a play room too, and occassionaly Leeann slept up there. We moved all our kids' clothes, bathroom items and personal effects into our master suite. We all made adjustments and sacrifices to live together. We were all living in cramped quarters, with a fair amount of chaos at times from the sheer volume of "things" stuck in every nook and cranny. The literal volume was also daunting at times... just having 4 little ones from 1-5 years old and the everyday noises from 7 people in a less-than huge house.

BUT-- I've come to find out that the country song is true, love does grow best in little houses...

"Because love grows best in little houses, With fewer walls to separate,Where you eat and sleep so close together.You can't help but communicate, Oh, and if we had more room between us, think of all we'd miss. Love grows best, in houses just like this."

Suzy and the boys moved back to Washington yesterday. I had mixed emotions--but the 'stuffer' of emotions that I am, I chose to think on the positive things. It's such an exciting day for their family, I'll get my closet back, I'll get to set up Leeann's princess big girl bed (which I've been dreaming about in my head for more than a year now). I'll have less dishes to do, and more time to spend with just my kiddos.

We said good-bye to them just before we left for church and I tried not to think about the fact that they'd be gone by the time we got home. It wasn't until I was in Rob's office talking to him during church that I realized something that nearly brought me to tears. I said to him, "My best friend just moved away." It brings tears to my eyes even as I write this. I hadn't thought about it until yesterday, but Suzy really has become one of my best friends. If I want to watch a chick flick, share something I'm excited about, vent my frustrations, or just have someone to chat with, dream with, or eat ice cream with... she was always right upstairs. We shared chores, shared kids, shared dreams, shared frustrations. I'm sure we created some of each other's frustrations... but the good out-weighs the negative by so much that it just doesn't matter. That's what friends are all about right?

When we walked into church yesterday Leeann looked at me and said, "Mommy, where's Washington?" Then when we got home she asked where Weston and Logan and Suzy were, and how come they didn't want to stay here longer? As I pulled up to McDonald's for lunch, something was missing. Suzy and the boys have gone to McDonald's with us every Sunday afternoon for 7 months. I drove up to the house and her car was gone. And her stuff was gone. And the toys were gone. My best friend was gone.

All the sudden all the room we had upstairs didn't seem so exciting. Don't get me wrong, I was excited, but not as excited as I thought I'd be to "get my house back". So, trying to get more excited, I begun to vaccum, clean out drawers and closets, dust furniture... we even set up the kids' beds. We brought some of the toys upstairs that we'd taken out in January to make room for our house guests. It was just as I pictured. Perfect. Until Rob and I rested on the floor after a hard afternoon's worth of work, thinking about the fact that something is missing. Or rather, someone's are missing. All I could think about is wanting to show Suzy the princess bed, and to tell her about Leeann asking about them today. I wanted to cry with her about leaving because I hadn't taken the opportunity to do that with her.

I kept hoping she'd call. Oh why didn't I tell her to make sure she called when she got there? Her phone doesn't get hooked up until tomorrow. The phone rang last night, and it rings differently when it's long-distance. I sprinted down the stairs hoping it was Suzy... I had so much to tell her! It wasn't, and I was sad. Leeann asked me today if they're coming back tomorrow. I said no, and we just kind of hugged each other for a few minutes. It's obvious that we all miss them already!

It's quiet around here. Too quiet. There's no pitter-patter running across the upstairs hallway. No screaming and yelling and fighting over toys. No sticky yogurt or oatmeal mess on the table. There are no super-men to rescue the princess. Oh, they'd love her princess bed and the new table and chairs (from IKEA!). Titus misses the cars to push around, so he pushed the stroller around all day yesterday. We've gotta get that boy some hotwheels. He kept running the stroller into Leeann's doll house--he's all boy! Weston isn't here to show him how to do "big-boy" things. Weston was a good teacher. Rob did chariot races with the kiddo's last night. We were two kids short of pure fun!

Weston's shoes were left outside on the back porch, and Logan's socks came through in some laundry. Suzy left a packet of scrapbooking letters that fell behind her dresser. They're everywhere... but they aren't here all at the same time. Sigh. Suzy's milk and special cereal are still hanging around. Dinner for four was nice, but not as nice as dinner for seven.

So, all of this to say, I miss Suzy and the boys. We all do... but we're so excited for them and for this exciting new start for their family. Ronnie spent the weekend here, and he's doing so good. We're so proud of him. We're proud of all of them. They've made huge sacrifices for each other and for their family, and they're setting out to conquer the world together. It's going to be tough, but hanging onto their faith in Christ, it's going to be so rewarding. I'm so anxious to see this family 6 months from now, and to see how they've changed, and grown, and how they've learned to be a family again. I have faith in their love and commitment to one another and to their Savior. I believe that not only are they going to make it, but they're going to thrive... and together they are going to do great things... I'm sure of it!

I miss you Suzy. I wish you were here, but I'm so happy you are there. Thanks for being my best friend, I'm so grateful for the chance to get to know you so well and to have gotten to share life with you. I'm glad you made the bold move to move in with us... even though it was tough, and your room was too hot (or cold), and the upstairs was cramped, and even though you did the lion's share of child-watching. I wouldn't trade these last 7 months for anything. I wish I could be there helping you unpack and settle in. I miss you, and I'm proud of you, and I love you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robyn, you are so loving and such a great friend. What an amazing tribute to Suzy. I don't even know the story and your words brought me to tears.

BTW, I went to IKEA today, which was amazing. And we had meatballs for lunch!

:-)

Elissa said...

Robyn,
I know you dont know me but I came across your blog one day and absolutly loved it. I have been reading it ever since. The last entry brought me to tears. I'm sure Suzy is just as blessed to have a friend like you. You seem so sweet and so warm-hearted. Thanks for sharing your blog with me.

John Paul Vicory said...

thanks, Robyn.

Jenny said...

Robyn, I can't say thank you enough for having Suzy and the boys in your home these last 7 months. It has been a wonderful example of love! You are so right, she is an incredible friend and now we are in the same boat- missing her! Also, I would love to see you all at In-N-Out Thursday if you are still planning on coming through Redding!

Jenny said...

Robyn, I can't thank you and Rob enough for having Suzy and the boys in your home. It has been a wonderful example of love and sacrifice. And you are so right, she is an incredible friend and now we are in the same boat- missing her! Also, I would love to do In-N-Out with you Thursday if you are still planning on it!

My name is Breanna... said...

Hey Robyn, Just wanted to say I'll be thinking of you as you all"adjust". Life brings so many changes. We would love to see you when you come to town-let me know the date and time,,,was it sunday the 19th?. I'll check and make sure were not going out of town before school starts.

Suzy said...

Thanks for the sweet dedication to me. Thank you is not enough for how much you and Rob helped us through the last 7 months. I loved staying at your house! I miss and love you too!