Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sprint Tri






Rob and I participated in a sprint triathlon last month to benefit the Albany Options Pregnancy Resource Center. Andrea (who we had been paired with, but hadn't met before the event) swam 1/3 mile. I biked 12.5 miles and Rob ran 3.1 miles.

I tell you what. My backside hurt at about mile 3. It hurt really bad about mile 8. By the time I got off of my bike at mile 12.5 I could barely walk. And, I'm not exaggerating!

The start times were all staggered between 8:00 and 9:00. We, unfortunately, started at 9:00 which meant that by the time I hit mile 1 pretty much everybody in the race had already passed me. There were a precious few. And by few, I mean maybe 1 or 2, possibly 3 people who came in after me on the bike leg. It was an extroverts worst nightmare. I spent an hour and 3 minutes looking at desolate roads, sheep and horses, literally praying that I wouldn't be the last one in!

But, I made it, and Rob passed quite a few people during his run so he wasn't the last one finishing the race That is why I really, really didn't want to be the last biker in!

All in all, it was a lot of fun. It was also fun to train for it, though I could have used more time to train for sure. I've contemplated doing the whole thing next year, but I'm not sure I have it in me. I like to be around people way to much to train that hard in 3 very isolated sports. We'll see what the year brings however!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: