Yesterday I went through the kids' clothes, put their summer clothes away, passed down ones that are too small and pulled out their winter clothes. While I was doing this I moved Titus's clothes over to Logan and Hope's room so Leeann and Titus's dresser wouldn't be so full. Titus was excited to have his own dresser when he was getting his clothes on today.
Well, this morning while I was doing Leeann's hair I heard an enormous crash and my heart sunk. I knew Titus was in that bedroom and I knew there was only one thing in there that could have made a crash like that... the dresser.
I ran into the room and experienced the scariest mommy moment to-date... my nearly 4 year-old pinned squarely underneath the dresser. I mean, it was flat on top of him, completely covering him. I pulled it off of him as quickly as I could and picked up him up. I sent Leeann outside to get her dad who was just leaving for work (and I'm so glad he went in later than normal today!). She ran out the door crying and screaming at the top of her lungs. I brought Titus out to Rob, shaking as we looked him over. He only cried for about 20 seconds then he was just kind of staring at me in a state of shock. So, while Rob tried to get him to tell him if anything hurt, I called his doctor. I wasn't sure whether to watch him, take him to the doctor, urgent care or the E.R. The nurse said just to keep an eye on him, make sure he's talking, drinking water and that his eyes are normal. Whew! By the time I got off the phone with her Rob brought Titus back in and he was talking, running and bouncing as normal.
I'm still a little shaky. It's one of those things that you think will never happen to your kids. I know that falling dressers and t.v.'s have led to peril for many young children. And it can happen... in the blink of an eye... just like that! I'm so grateful that he is safe and doing well. Let's just say, he's gotten an awful lot of hugs an kisses this morning!
For the record, he wasn't climbing on the dresser. He showed us that he pulled all of the drawers out, which made it tip over. Maybe that's why it turned out okay, because some of the drawers might have stopped the dresser from falling too hard too quickly. Scary, scary!