Thursday, February 28, 2008

The anatomy of... anatomy...

Caution: Below is a story about the kinds of things my kids will kill me for writing about when they get old enough. But, it's too funny not to share it!

A couple of weeks ago I was changing Titus's diaper. Little 'nurse' Leeann loves to be around and scope things out whenever something gross is happening (like poo or vomit) or when she sees an owie (a rash or scratch etc.) So, she was kind of hovering over me as I was trying to clean a particularly stubborn diaper mess. Leeann looked up at me and ever-so-matter-of-factly asked, "Why does Titus have poo poo on his tail?"

I laughed so hard I almost cried and she laughed with me though she didn't quite understand why she was laughing. I didn't correct her then and there because I wanted to chat with Rob about it first, so I half answered the question and went on with our day.

As Rob and I were talking about it later we both recalled hearing at both our foster care training classes, and at a child abuse protection class how important it is to help your children understand the correct terminology for anatomy so that they can accurately and clearly describe what happened if an abuse were to take place. Anyway, we agreed it was time to have a chat with Leeann to help her understand, but we just kind of left it at that.

Well, this morning Leeann and Titus took a bath and as I was putting lotion on him, she began commenting about his tail again. I told her it wasn't a tail, and described to her, with appropriate terminology, the difference between a boy and a girl. After a few minutes of questions and comments it finally seemed to click with her and then she looked up at me and said. "I have a _________!" Then she proceeded to rattle off a list of her friends and associated their anatomy to their name.

It's cute enough in her bedroom, but I'm just imagining her prancing around the store asking people what they have, or worse yet, stating for them what they have. So, we ended the conversation talking about how God made some things private and personal and who it's appropriate to talk to about private things. Of course, here I am blogging about it... hmm...

3 comments:

SaraJane Campbell said...

I am sure you are going to have some more embarrassing moments regarding this one soon. She is Leeann :-)

Hi friend I miss you terribly! Love your friend in NewJersey

beachbirdie said...

Robyn, I am laughing so hard I am about to fall off my chair! What a cute story! These are the things that create the cutest of memories...

Anonymous said...

Robin...I think this might be one of my favorite stories. I was actually falling asleep in class when I read this and it perked me right up! I was having a hard time not laughing out loud in the middle of the lecture! =) Thanks for the good laugh! Love you guys lots!

Nikki