Saturday, January 05, 2008

My Christmas Poem

Twas the night before Christmas and we’re on vacation
The Christmas music bellowed on each radio station

We’re in our van just riding along
Singing along with each jolly song

A generous check recently came in the mail
The gift was a blessing—we wished to spend it well

Maybe we’ll paint our interior walls,
re-do some flooring or put new lights in our hall!

A washer, a dryer, a new mattress maybe
A leather chair, dishwasher or upstairs t.v.?

Then out from nowhere we heard such a clatter
We looked up from our seats to see what was the matter

Oh no, we sulked as we looked at the windshield
A crack had formed and was expanding with zeal

Guess that’s where our money will go
Glad God provided—his timing just so

Twere the days after Christmas we came home from vacation
Regular music was back on each station

Another generous check came from those in our church
Maybe now we can do some of that work?

On came check engine light, the van running rough
We took it to the mechanic to see what was up

Lucky us, there wasn’t just one problem you see
Not just one problem, oh no, there were three!

My head started to hurt as the mechanic spoke
The bottom line put a lump in my throat

Is my poor little van even worth that much of money?
God’s sense humor I thought, was certainly funny

Not one penny more, just a few penny's less
Than the sum of all pennies in Robyn's Nest

Our lot in life came to the front of my mind
God provides for us faithfully during these times

He gives us enough money to get through the day
Any time we have extra he takes it away

It happens so often we laugh at it now
I confess, we were hoping this time it might be different some how

He gives us each day our daily bread
Our bills are always paid and the kids are always fed

The way God provides is so neat to see
I wouldn't trade it for my own money tree

Do you think he wants us to learn a good lesson?
Depend on him solely for each little blessing!

6 comments:

Jessi said...

You're a whitty girl!!! Love the poem, sorry about not being able to spend it the way you had hoped, but just keep believing and more will come, I'm certain of that! Happy January!

Unknown said...

You are the most stellar poet I know! It was cute and catchy but you've also communicated the huge (and sometimes disheartening) lesson of trusting and believing God.

Sorry for the car/windshield troubles, but glad all is provided for.

Anonymous said...

PERFECT!!!!! I love your poem, and especially your heart!

Jennifer said...

That was a fantastic poem, and so true! I loved it!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I passed this on to my MIL, Patsy. I hope you don't mind!

Rebecca.Alburn said...

The "jacob" was me...