Monday, September 12, 2011

Kindergarten!

Today I dropped my son off at Kindergarten.

I know I may be a little bias, but he was definitely the best looking kid in his whole class!

He was all decked out in his favorite shirt (Lego Starwars... what else is there?), sporting his Cars backpack and his Starwars lunch box. 

He seemed only slightly nervous this morning. Mostly he was just excited to finally be experiencing this thing called school. 

He's gotten to experience a fair amount of school and school related activities due to having a big sister, so he's been around enough to be comfortable with the whole idea, yet it's still been somewhat mysterious to him up until now. 

I walked him to the playground where his class was lining up getting ready to go inside. I was really glad that I wasn't the only paparazzi parent present. He lined up along with the other class, in a mass of 50+ five year-olds with his backpack on his back and his lunch box in hand while his teachers gave them instructions and told them what to expect when they line up each morning. 

I looked over at Titus at one point and suddenly I saw him blow me a kiss. My heart just about melted. A few minutes later his signed "I love you" to me from afar, which is something I often do with my kids when we aren't within speaking distance. 

Then, before I knew it, he walked in a single (not so straight) line through the gym and off to his classroom along with a whole bunch of other kids who will likely include his future best friend(s), his future nemesis(es) and his future crush(es).

But for now, he's still my baby, despite the fact that he's in school. Some people can't wait to get their kids off to school, I can't wait to pick him up so I can hear all about his first day of kindergarten. I bet he's having a blast! He loves people, he loves learning and he loves to be on the move... I think he'll do just fine!

Mommy on the other hand... well, I'm warming up to the idea. I haven't cried (yet). Though I admit, my house is currently much too quiet for my liking! 

Should I nap? Should I write? Should I clean? Should I read? Should I tackle a project? Visit a friend? Go shopping? The choices are plentiful.

 Or, I can stare at the picture at the beginning of this post of my handsome son and count down the minutes until I get to go pick him up. The latter seems like the most likely prospect at the moment! 

Here's to a new school year and a new chapter in life. Happy first day of kindergarten Titus!

No comments: