Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Random Act of Kindness

Today, I decided to take the kids to Fred Meyer. I don't do that very often as it's hard to shop with both kids, especially if one of those car-carts with two seats aren't available. The logistics of taking them shopping is more trouble than it's worth, but I needed to pick something up for Leeann's preschool Christmas program tonight so I knew it would only be a short trip and I decided to brave it by myself instead of sending Rob after he gets off of work.

Well, I practically stalked a lady who had the car-cart I needed and parked as near to her as I could so that I could make a mad dash to get the cart as soon as she finished unloading her groceries. I succeeded, and the three of us 'drove' on our merry way with the cool car-cart. If you've ever driven one of these you know that the kids love them, but they are a pain in the neck to turn and you can't fit through aisleways very well and it's quite cumbersome (but worth it for the ability to have two kids in the cart and happy!)

Well, as I paid for my groceries I had a dilemma. Do I leave the car-cart inside and try to take my three plastic sacks of groceries in one hand, Titus in the other and let Leeann walk next to us? I could, but it would be heavy, and I'd rather have Leeann hold my hand or be in the cart in the parking lot.

Option 2: I could take the kids and the cart to the van, unload the groceries, then take the cart and the kids to the cart drop off and bring them back to the van. This is what I usually do as I don't like to leave my kids in the car by themselves, even for a minute.

Option 3: Drop the kids and the groceries in the van and take the cart back and then go on our merry way.

Well, I was planning for option 2, but once I finally got the big bulky cart to the van and in a position that I could get the back open, and the side door without putting anyone in danger, I decided to just put the kids in the van too and I'd take the cart back. It was going to be more effort than necessary to maneuver the cart to be able to get the back closed with the kids inside the cart. And besides, Leeann was already standing up ready to be put in the car.

Well, just as I was strapping Titus in, with the back of the van still open and the cart in an obviously weird spot, this lady who had parked next to me that just finished unloading her own groceries asked if she could take the cart back for me. It was incredibly sweet. This might sound silly to people who haven't gone shopping with young kids lately, but to me it was priceless. She said to me, "You have sweet kids, may I take this for you?" Then she came back and took her own cart back to the cart drop-off. She was probably in her late 50's so she wasn't a young mom who just went through this dilemma herself. I was grateful for her and for her noticing my predicament and purposing to bless me with a random act of kindness.

Find someone you can bless in a silly little way today, and if you ever get the opportunity to return a cart for a mom with youngsters... I guarantee she'll be blessed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's for sure. I was in the parking lot of Walmart with a screaming, very tired Elisha when a nice gramma type lady asked if she could take my cart for me. Yesss Please!!! Thank you so much for people who remember or understand what it is like to be a mom with small children!!

My name is Breanna... said...

Hi, It's so good to be reminded of how little things can touch people's lives! Thanks for sharing!